Temporary Manager: a professional in step with the times.
First appearing in Britain in the mid-1980s, when the Ict crisis forced IBM to cut staff, the T-Manager was imported from the US thinking it could recycle IBM officials in excess. From England fashion has passed in other countries. Often the difficult thing for bosses to accept is that the manager should be given proxies and powers. In return, a good temporary manager must put together various skills: specific expertise on business problems, speed of analysis and evaluation, the ability to quickly define operational plans but above all the talent to create a motivating work environment.
The Temporary Manager is a highly qualified figure, who is entrusted with the management of a company, or part of it, for an agreed period and without any obligation of continuity. Its goal is to help companies in critical periods in order to relaunch them and bring them back on the path of development and growth.
When to insert a Temporary Manager: the main situations
- In the event of a management transition to give functional continuity in situations of temporal emergency (example: the sales manager, operations, etc. resigns suddenly. and there is no replacement in the company immediately ready to take responsibility).
- When you identify a complex project or programme of extreme importance and you cannot divert internal company resources (for example, a new information system is introduced that requires a change in all functions). In this case it is not a purely technical project but whose success depends on the collective participation of the entire organization.
- When approaching new international markets, for which we need dedicated attention, a specific culture and know-how.
- In the event that you intend to restructure or manage a criticality within the company (turnaround) or industry specification (crisis).
- When a generational transition is implemented to train and coach the new entrepreneur or top manager supporting him in the direction or leadership of the company (managerial training on the job).
- When you combine and integrate two separate organizations into a new entity and the time to create the right amalgamation (in terms of efficiency and effectiveness) is short.
- In the case of a start-up when you need to quickly organize, create, implement and consolidate a portfolio of products, processes and management procedures, a customer base.
- For a well-established company in development and bring stabilization and growth skills and create the foundation for organizational adjustment and growth.
- For the construction and management of enterprise networks (albeit mixed or international) when governance is defined. For example, in a business network to internationalize, once the business aggregation model (contract network or legal entity) has been defined, the Temporary Manager is responsible for the integration of first-mile (internal to the company) and last mile (of the local market).
Experience and training
Thanks to the knowledge and expertise gained over many years of experience, we are able to support companies during critical times and identify new business opportunities.
Our work involves an initial phase of analysis, aimed at identifying the critical factors, and an operational phase in which the management and the formation of resources in the field takes place.
In the initial phase, together with the partners identified for the intervention, the strategies and the organizational model of the company are redefined.
In the second phase, the TM will work with the management of the company to ensure the relaunch of the company and the proper functioning of the resources in the field by forming, among other things, possible working groups.
The long period of crisis forces us to reinvent the business, to ensure future development, in a global context and at great speed of change. A comparison with a TM can help a lot for the entrepreneur who wants to improve, relaunch or make their initiatives more effective.
What are the benefits for the business?
TM is a subject that can fit into the corporate fabric in a short time, because already having experience in management knows the dynamics and knows how to communicate with internal resources.
TM is a source of enrichment for the company because it has experience, has access to heterogeneous resources and collaborations and this remains as the company's new heritage at the end of its journey.
TM can also help when a company's business is positive because there are always areas for improvement in an ever-changing market.